Election of IAJGS Board Members
The IAJGS Board of Directors consists of four elected officers, six elected directors, and the immediate past president. Officers are elected for two-year terms in odd years and directors are elected for two-year terms in even years. Elections are held at the annual general meeting which is held in conjunction with the Annual Conference on Jewish Genealogy. Board members serve as individuals – not as representatives of any society or group. Serving on the Board of Directors does involve some personal expenses related to travel.
Nominating Committee: Officers and Directors are nominated by a nominating committee consisting of three persons, one of whom is be a member of the Board and two of whom may not be members of the Board. To contact the current nominating committee use the board application form.
Floor Nominations: For information about how to make a floor nomination, see the IAJGS Bylaws, Article VI section 4. It is strongly recommended that all individuals nominated from the floor bring a completed board application form to the annual meeting and submit the form to the Secretary before the beginning of the annual meeting.
Candidate Statements at the Annual Meeting: All nominees (or someone designated by them) will be given one (1) minute to make a statement on their behalf at the annual meeting. The time limit will be strictly enforced. No other individuals will be allowed to make statements either for or against any candidate. For additional information about Elections, see Article VI of the IAJGS Bylaws.
Each nominee must agree to serve if elected. Serving includes taking on the duties of the office and attendance at board meetings.
The IAJGS Board meets four (4) times per year. The schedule of board meetings is as follows:
- In the spring (a two day meeting, full Saturday and following Sunday till noon*, usually held in March or April) – location/date determined by board consensus.
- At the Annual International Conference on Jewish Genealogy before the IAJGS annual meeting (on the Sunday that the conference begins) – location dependent upon where conference is held.
- At the Annual International Conference on Jewish Genealogy after the IAJGS annual meeting (on the Thursday or Friday of the conference) – location dependent upon where conference is held.
- In the fall (a two day meeting, full Saturday and following Sunday till noon*, usually held in late October or early November) – location/date determined by board consensus.
» In addition there may be several telephonic board meetings held at the discretion of the President.
* At the discretion of the board these meetings may be held on Friday and Saturday.
The IAJGS Board Policy regarding travel and accommodation reimbursement is as follows:
In connection with their attendance at Board meetings other than those held at the annual conference, Board members shall be entitled to claim reimbursement for their actual cost, in excess of the sum of $300.00 per meeting, for transportation to and from the meeting. The actual cost of transportation shall not exceed the amount of the lowest available direct round-trip airfare from the claimant’s home to the location of the meeting. There is no reimbursement for the hotel. Up to $500.00 of each reimbursement shall be paid from the general fund. Any additional travel reimbursement for Board members shall be paid only from a special fund established for that purpose and only if there are sufficient funds. The total sum available for reimbursements for a meeting shall be determined from time to time, based upon the amount in this special fund. In the event that the funds available for reimbursement are insufficient to pay all of the claims submitted in full, they shall be paid proportionately.
Adopted 27 March 2006