. 48°54' N, 09°11' E. Ludwigsburg is a city about 7.5 mi N of Stuttgart city center near the river Necka and the largest city of the Ludwigsburg urban district within the administrative region (Regierungsbezirk) of Stuttgart. Wikipedia. Jews began living in Ludwigsburg during the 19th century. In 1884, a synagogue was built on Solitudestraße, destroyed by storm troopers during the November 1938 pogrom. Jewish population: 243 (in 1900), 187 (in 1933). In 1988, the perimeter of the structure was marked in plaster on the site. A 1959 memorial and newer memorial plaques commemorate Holocaust victims and extol human rights. In 1940, the Nazi propaganda film, Jud Süß, was filmed in Ludwigsburg, based on the historical figure, Joseph Süß Oppenheimer from Ludwigsburg, who was executed in Stuttgart in 1738; During WWII, the city suffered moderate damage. Prisoner-of-war camp Stalag V-A was here from October 1939 until April 1945. After the war, a large displaced persons camp housed several thousand mainly Polish displaced persons until about 1948. After 1945 until mid-1946, an allied internment camp for war criminals was here. The U.S. Army maintained a barracks on the edge of town, large enough to have its own American high school. The land was returned to Germany in 1994. On 27 September 2008, the first 12 "Stolpersteine" were laid in Ludwigsburg as part of a project by artist Gunter Demnig to memorialize individuals who perished under Nazi persecution. Demnig was back in Ludwigsburg on 7 October 2009 to install more Stolpersteine.
71640 Baden-Wurtemberg (Gerz, Peters).
|Last Updated on Sunday, 17 March 2013 20:02|