|BIRMINGHAM, West Midlands (6 burial sites):|
For information on the Jewish community and congregations of Birmingham, see Birmingham on JCR-UK.
Situated in the garden of one of Birmingham's earliest known synagogues and in use from at least 1730. Probably closed about 1766 (on opening of Granville Street Cemetery).
Opened about 1766, as successor to the cemetery in The Froggery, and in use to 1825. Some of the remains were reinterred in the Witton Old Cemetery in 1876, when site redeveloped for railway use.
Name corruption of the Hebrew "Bet Olam" meaning "House of Eternity", a term used for a cemetery. Opened about 1823 and closed many years ago. Site has been neglected and access is not generaly available. Cemetery records have been lost.
A section of the municipal cemetery contiguatios with the main cemetery. In use from 1869 and was consecrated on February 14th, 1871 [Jewish Year Book, 1910]. Includes obelist commemorating remains were reinterred from Granville Street Cemetery in 1876 and fragments of headstones from Betholom Cemetery. Burial records extant from 1872.
A separate section of the municipal cemetery on the other side of College Road. Cemetery in use and shared by Orthodox and Progressive Jewish congregations.
Opened in 1918. Acquired by the Birmingham New Synagoguein a section of the Non-conformisr burial ground.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 08 January 2017 12:18|