You are here: Home Eastern Europe Poland INOWROCLAW: Kujawsko-Pomorskie
INOWROCLAW: Kujawsko-Pomorskie PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Inowrocław

Alternate names: Inowrocław [Pol], Inowrazlaw [Ger, until 1904], Hohensalza [Ger, after 1904], Inowracław, Inovroclava, Inovrotslav. 52°48' N, 18°16' E, 60 miles ENE of Poznań (Posen), 27 miles SSE of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). 1900 Jewish population: 1,157. 2004 total population: 77,641. Situated in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999, Inowrocław was previously in the Bydgoszcz Voivodeship (1975-1998). An industrial town located about 40 km SE of Bydgoszcz known for its saltwater baths and salt mines, the town is the 5th largest in its voivodeship. Jews were first documented in Inowroclaw in the 1400's.  The Jewish population peaked in 1837 (about 1,900 Jews out of a total population of about 4,750) then dropped to about 250 in 1921 when most Jews immigrated to Germany or the U.S. after the creation of an independent Poland.  About 170 Jews remained when the Nazis invaded in September 1939.  These Jews were expelled by the end of 1939. The Inowroclaw synagogue was built in 1908 with funds provided primarily by Dr. Leopold Levy. [May 2009]

Sam Gruber article: "Retrieving Stolen Matzevot: Plan Announced to Retrieve Scattered Gravestone Fragments from Inowroclaw (Poland) Jewish Cemetery", April 15, 2009. "he Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland announced that on April 7, 2009:...a meeting took place in Inowroclaw (kujawsko-pomorskie province) between the representatives of the Foundation... local authorities and the regional Monument Conservator. The parties discussed the matter of the matzevot used in the past to reinforce the pavements in Inowroclaw. A commission was created to inventarize the locations of the tombstones, then to remove and secure them. In near future they will be transported back to the 'new' Jewish cemetery in the town (located between the communal and Catholic cemeteries). They probably will become part of the lapidarium." Matzevot Found During Works: "On April 28, 2009, a significant number of matzevot fragments was discovered during the demolition works nearby the High School No.3 in Inowroclaw (kujawsko-pomorskie province). The fragments apparently came from the Jewish cemetery and were used by the Germans to reinforce bunker structures during the war. The pieces were secured and will be kept in local museum until the decision of the Rabbinic Comission."  [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE0000595

Alternate name: Inowrazlaw, Hohensalza in German. The cemetery is located in Bydgoskie province at 18º15' 52º48', about 36 km from Bydgoszcz. The cemetery is on ul Studzienna. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: municipal council of Inowroclaw.
  • Regional: manager Olga Romanowska -Grabowska, Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow

The earliest known Jewish community was the 18th century. 1939 Jewish population was 28. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in the late 18th or early 19th century. The isolated urban hillside has no sign. Reached by turning off a public road, access is open to all with no fence, wall or gate. The past and present size of the cemetery is about 1.31 ha. No gravestones are visible. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns property is used for recreation. Property adjacent is residential and recreational. The cemetery is rarely visited. It was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance or structures. Security and incompatible existing development are slight threats.

Magdalena Grabowska, Bydgoszcz ul Sanatoryjna 40, tel. 277335, completed this survey Oct. 30, 1992. The document used to complete this survey was the "card 1988 WKZ Bydgoszcz." The site was not visited.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 27 May 2009 22:27
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution