A very small Jewish congregation existed until the 1960's, but is now defunct. For Community Information, see Inverness on JCR-UK.
"The Jewish community in Inverness have just completed an arrangement with the Town Council, by which they have acquired a piece of ground to be utilised as a cemetery. The ground is in the town cemetery. The need of a Jewish cemetery has been felt for a number of years, as former interments always took place in Glasgow over two hundred miles distant. A recent death - that of a young lad of fourteen years who had only just arrived from his home in Russia - determined the congregation to take this step. His body was the first buried in the new ground." [Jewish Chronicle, 12 January 1906, page 45. Source: Harold Pollins]
There are about 23 graves between 1906 until 1997.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 28 August 2016 18:56|