|CHERNIVTSI: [Cernovcy, Cernwitze Bukovina, Chernovitsy, Chernovitz, Chernovits, Czerniowce, Tschernowitz, Chernivtsi-Чернівці, Cernăuţi, Czernowitz,|
Alternate names: Chernivtsi-Чернівці [Ukr], Chernovtsy-Черновцы [Rus], Cernăuţi [Rom], Czernowitz [Ger], Tschernowitz-טשערנאוויץ [Yid], Czerniowce [Pol], Csernovic [Hun], Cernovcy, Cernwitze Bukovina, Chernovitsy, Chernovitz, Chernovits. 48°18' N, 25°56' E, Major city of Bukovina, on the Prut River, 71 miles SE of Ivano-Frankivsk now in W Ukraine, near border with Romania and Moldova. 1900 Jewish population: 22,000. Together with the city of Lviv, Chernivtsi is viewed as a cultural center of western Ukraine for culture, education and architecture. Historically in that role, Chernivtsi was dubbed "Little Vienna,""Jerusalem upon the Prut".
KehilaLink [Mar 2014]
Wikipedia [Mar 2014]
"Chernivtsi: 100 famous addresses" Chernivtsi, 2007. Shevchenko N. Original language is Ukrainian. "Чернівці: 100 відомих адрес", Чернівці, 2007. Шевченко Н. ISBN 966-8410-64-
The Jewish Encyclopedia (in Russian), retrieved on 2009-08-28.
"Inviting for excursion in Chernivtsi. Guidebook", Chernivtsi, 2008. Authors Lashkevich M., Boyko I. Original language is Ukrainian. "Запрошуємо на екскурсії Чернівцями", Чернівці, 2008. Автори Лашкевич М., Бойко І., ISBN 978-966-560-394-8
Jewish Bukovina. [Mar 2014]
BOOK: Carved Memories: Heritage in Stone from the Russian Jewish Pale by David Goberman, NY: also see introduction to Ukraine.
Czernowitz Jewish community (Kehilah) records microfilmed by the Central Archives for the History of the Jewish People have not yet been completely cataloged and are mostly of historical and not genealogical value. [Mar 2014]
The Chernivtsi Museum of History and Culture of Bukovinian Jews opened in Czernowitz in 2008, inside the building formerly known as the Jewish National House. [Mar 2014]
Excellent maps of Czernowitz from different decades can be found here. If you would like to learn what a street was named during Austrian, Romanian, and Russian/Ukrainian times, use this street name translator. [Mar 2014]
Czernowitz Cemetery indexing project t can be found on the Czernowitz discussion group web site. [Mar 2014]
CHERNOVTSY I: US Commission No. UA25010101
Alternate name: Czerniowce (Yiddish), Czernovitz (German), Czernowitz (Hungarian), Chernovitsy (Czech), Czernovtsky (Slov), Chernivtsi (Polish), Chernovtsky (English), Cernauti (Ukraine), Cernovcy (Hebrew) and Cernowitze Bukovina (others). Chernovtsy is located in Chernovitskaya at 4818 2556, 230 km from Lvov and 214 km from Vinnitsa. The cemetery is located at Zelenaya St. in NE of town. Present town population is over 100,000 with 1,001-10,000 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 16th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 42932. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1836 Jewish Tiphography opening, 1908 Jewish Narodny Dom discovery, and the 19th century struggles of Hasids and Reformists. Living here were Rabbi Igel(1854-1894) and Rector of Chernovitsky University Isaak Gilberg. The Jewish cemetery dates from the 19th century. Buried in the cemetery are poets Eliezer Shternbard and Moshe Altman and actors Sidetal and Goldman. The last known Jewish burial was 1990. Jewish community was Hasidic and Progressive/Reform. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with locking gate surrounds the cemetery. More than 50,000 graves and 50000 gravestones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from the 19th to 20th century. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, with other metallic elements, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial. The cemetery boundaries are larger now than 1939. Frequently, organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups and Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country cleared vegetation and fixed wall in 1980-1990. Occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house with tahara (table) and Prayer house. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Moderate threat: vegetation. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vandalism, and existing and proposed nearby development.
Hodorkovsky Yuriy Isaakovich of 252037, Ukraine, Kiev, Vozduhoflotsky 37a, #23 [Phone: (044)2769505] visited site on 1/23/95. Interviewed was Tau Yakov Adolphovich on 1/23/95. Hodorkovsky completed survey on 02/06/1995.
Cemeteries of Chernivtsi on Zelena Street", Chernivtsi 2002, authors Shupenya V., Prestupenko Y., booklet, original language is Ukrainian. "Чернівецькі некрополі по вулиці Зеленій", Чернівці, 2002. Автори Шупеня В., Преступенко
The cemetery was established by the municipality in 1866. The Jewish Ceremonial hall at the entrance was built in 1905. Famous sculptors such as B. Reder and L. Kukurudza worked at the cemetery on monuments and tombstones that show a diversity of styles reflecting Jewish and Ukranian traditions and folk art including stelae, sarcophagi, mausoleums and obelisks. Four mass graves are located in this cemetery: Jewish soldiers of the Austrian army from World War I, Turkish soldiers, Romanians who died in 1941-1942, and Jewish civilians who were victims of the Holocaust in 1941. The Chernivtsi City Council has designated this cemetery as part of the historical-cultural preserve known as "Cemeteries at Zelena Street". The Jewish cemetery of Chernivtsi is one of the largest, preserved, old Jewish cemeteries in Central and Eastern Europe. It also exists as a monument to, and reminder of, the formerly large Jewish community of the city and their role in the once lively civic, economic, and cultural life. Source: Find A Grave [Mar 2014]
Work Camps in the cemetery. [Mar 2014]
The Cemetery at Chernovitsi [Mar 2014]
2011 Vandalism [Mar 2014]
2013 Summer volunteers [Mar 2014]
map [Mar 2014]
Restoration of the Czernowitz Cemetery (on Zelena Street) is underway, organized by the Czernowitz Discussion Group, and the associated Czernowitz Jewish Cemetery Restoration Organization (CJCRO). This work proceeds in conjunction with Dr. Josef Bursuk, leader of Chesed-Shushana, in Chernivtsi. See additional pictures and information here and here. As of June, 2012, >7.0 hectares have been cleared of trees, vines and other vegetation. Efforts are proceeding to clear an additional land in summer of 2012 .[Mar 2014]
CHERNOVTSY II: US Commission No. UA25010501
The mass grave is located at NW of town. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 with last known Jewish burial 1944. No other towns or villages Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated urban hillside has signs or plaques in Hebrew and Jewish symbols on gate or wall mentioning Jews and the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road and Podgayetskaya St., access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. 1 to 20 common tombstones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 20th century. No stones were removed. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are recreational. Occasionally, organized individual tours and Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities did re-erection of stones. Occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, vandalism, and existing and proposed nearby development.
Hodorkovsky Yuriy Isaakovich of 252037, Ukraine, Kiev, Vozduhoflotsky 37a, #23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site on 1/23/95. Interviewed was Tau Y.M. of Chernovtsy on 1/23/95. Hodorkovsky completed survey on 02/07/1995.
Jewish cemetery history and photos. [Mar 2014]
He writes that examination of the site - which includes a wall made of gravestones - has been thwarted by the management of the textile factory, which has denied access.
Christian Herrmann, on his Vanished World blog,"reports on remnants of this Jewish cemetery that predates the vast cemetery that still exists. Today's Jewish cemetery was established in 1866. In the same year the old cemetery, located in the west of the Jewish district - near the train station - was closed. In 1949, the site was handed over by the Soviet authorities to a textile factory, which largely destroyed the cemetery. Parts of the gravestones were then misused as construction material. But individual graves can still be found in the ground." [Mar 2014]
Photos courtesy Merle Kastner [July 2012]
Photos courtesy Edgar Haustner 
Photos courtesy Edgar Haustner 
|Last Updated on Friday, 28 March 2014 13:52|