You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine DUBNO
DUBNO PDF Print E-mail
DUBNO I:     US Commission No. UA17030101
Alternate name: Dubna (Russian). Dubno is located in Rovenskaya at 50º25 25º45, 38 km from Rovno. Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with 11-100 Jews.
     The earliest known Jewish community was 16th or 17th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 5315. The landmarked Jewish cemetery was established in 1942. No other towns or villages used this cemetery. The suburban agricultural flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a private road (Dubno-Semidubi), access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds this cemetery. 1 to 20 common tombstones date from 20th century. No stones were removed. The cemetery has no special sections but has marked mass graves. The municipality owns property used for "other." Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are larger now than 1939. The cemetery is visited occasionally by organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last 10 years. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: vandalism.
Kirjner Moisey Davidovich of Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect 18, Apt.38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site and completed survey on 10/19/94. Interviewed was Aptik I.A. of D.Galinskogo Street 46, Apt.20 [Phone: (03656) 41139] on 10/19/94 on 10/19/94.
DUBNO II:     US Commission No. UA17030102
See DUBNO I for town information. The cemetery is located at Mlynovskaya Street. Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with 11-100 Jews.
     The earliest known Jewish community was the 17th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 5315. The Hasidic Jewish cemetery was established in 17th century with last known Jewish burial 1960. Tarakanov (5km away) and Pogorelov (5km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land on a hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a private road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds this cemetery. 21 to 100 common tombstones, few in original location with more than 75% toppled or broken, date from the 19th to 20th century. Location of removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no known mass graves. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery, industrial or commercial use and waste dumping. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of commercial or industrial development. The cemetery is visited rarely by organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups. The cemetery was vandalized not in the last 10 years. There is no maintenance now. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution and vandalism.
     Kirjner Moisey Davidovich of Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect 18, Apt.38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site and completed survey on 9/30/94. Interviewed was Aptik Iosif Abovich on 9/30/94.
DUBNO III:     US Commission No. UA17030501
Alternate name: Dubno (Yiddish). Dubno is located in Rovenskaya at 53º30 25º45, 38 km from Rovno. Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with 11-100 Jews.
  • Town officials: Town Executive Council of Shubin Eduadr Nikolayevich [Phone: (03656) 42080].
  • Regional: Oblast Executive Council of Sovetskaya sq., 1 [Phone: (0362) 225005].
  • Jewish Community of Dubno, Polevaya Street, 16 [Phone: (03656) 41271]. Jewish Community of Dubno, Galitskogo, 46, apt.20 [Phone: (03656) 41139].
  • Others: Rovno Oblast Archive of Rovno, Moskovskaya 26, Israel. Yad Vashem. The Federation of Volhynian Jews, Jerusalem.
     The earliest known Jewish community was 16th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 5315. Events effecting the Jewish community were pogroms of Chmelnitsky, Civil War, and First World War. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941. No other towns or villages used this mass grave. The unlandmarked, isolated, suburban agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the site. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location with none toppled, removed, or broken date from 1993. The mass grave has only common tombstones. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns mass grave now used for site. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and agricultural. The mass grave is visited occasionally by organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups, organized individual tours, private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) and local residents. The mass grave has been not been vandalized in the last 10 years. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Serious threat: existing nearby development. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vandalism.
     Kirzhner Moisey of Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect, 18, apt.38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] on visited site and completed survey 25/04/1995. Interviewed was Aptik Y.A. on 25/04/1995. Documentation: The Holocaust of Volhynian Jews 1941-1945 . Shmuel Spector; p. 13, 14, 45-47, 53, 62-63, 72-73, 79, 81, 124, 129, 140, 181, 182, 184, 189, 191, 228-230, 238-239, 252, 255, 258, 260, 267, 314-317, 319, 323, 358. Other documentation was inaccessible.
DUBNO IV:     US Commission No. UA17030502
The mass grave is located in Dubno. The unlandmarked Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 for Dubno Jews only. The mass grave location is urban, hillside, isolated, has no sign or marker. Bozhenko Street reaches it. Access is open to all. A continuous fence surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. No stones were removed. Common tombstones date from 20th century starting in 1993. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site now used for mass burial site. Adjacent properties are "other." The mass grave is visited occasionally by organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups, organized individual tours, private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) and local residents. The mass grave has been not been vandalized in the last 10 years. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Moderate threat: vandalism.
     Kirzhner Moisey of Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect, 18, apt.38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] on 26/04/1995. He completed survey on 24/04/1995. Interviewed was Atik Y.A. visited on 25/08/1995. Documentation: Shmuel Spector. The Holocaust of Volhynian Jews 1941-1945 . p.13, 14, 45, 47, 53, 62, 63, 72-73, 79, 81, 124, 129, 140, 181-182, 184, 189, 191, 228-230, 238-239, 252, 255, 258, 260, 267. Other documentation was inaccessible.
DUBNO V:     US Commission No. UA17030503
     The unlandmarked Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 for Dubno Jews only. The isolated rural (agricultural), hillside and crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the site. The approximate size of mass grave before WWII was 0.00 and is now 0.01 hectares. No stones were removed. The common tombstones date from 1993. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns mass grave now used for mass burial site. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The mass grave is visited occasionally by organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups, organized individual tours, private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) and local residents. The mass grave has been not been vandalized in the last 10 years. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Serious threat: weather erosion and pollution. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: vegetation and vandalism.
     Kirzhner Moisey of Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect, 18, apt.38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site and completed survey on 25/04/1995. Interviewed was Aptik Y.A. on 25/04/1995. Documentation: Shmuel Spector. The Holocaust of Volhynian Jews 1941-1945 . p.13, 14, 45-47, 53, 62, 63, 72, 73, 79, 81, 124, 129, 140, 181, 182, 184, 189, 191, 228-230, 238, 239, 252, 255. Other documentation was inaccessible.
DUBNO VI:     US Commission No. UA17030504
See Dubno I for town information. The unlandmarked Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 for Dubno Jews only. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign or marker. Access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds site. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. No stones were removed. The common tombstones date from 1992. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns mass grave now used for mass burial site. Adjacent properties are regional hospital and road to Tarakanov. The mass grave is visited occasionally by organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups, organized individual tours, private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) and local residents. The mass grave has been not been vandalized in the last 10 years. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism.
     Kirzhner Moisey of Lutsk, Grushevskogo Prospect 18, apt.38 [Phone: (03322) 34775] visited site and completed survey on 24/04/1995. Interviewed was Aptik Y.A. on 24/04/1995. Documentation: Shmuel Spektor. The Holocaust of Volhynian Jews 1941-1945 . P. 13, 14, 45-47, 53, 62, 63, 72, 73, 79, 81, 124, 129, 140, 181, 182, 184, 189, 191, 228-230, 238, 239, 252, 255, 258, 260, 26_. Other documentation was inaccessible.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution