The IAJGS Board of Directors consists of four elected officers, six elected directors, and the immediate past president. Officers are elected for two-year terms in odd years and directors are elected for two-year terms in even years. Board members serve as individuals—not as representatives of any society or group. Serving on the Board of Directors does involve some personal expenses related to travel. (See the IAJGS Governing Documents for details.)
Nominating Committee: Officers and Directors are nominated by a nominating committee consisting of three persons, one of whom is a member of the Board and two of whom may not be members of the Board. The current nominating committee members’ contact information is listed on the Board Application Form.
Board Candidates: All candidates interested in serving on the IAJGS Board are encouraged to submit a completed Board Application Form to the nominating committee in response to the committee’s call for nominations and no later than April 14, 2020, at 7 pm EDT. Each nominee must agree to serve if elected. Serving includes taking on the duties of the office and attendance at Board meetings.
The IAJGS Board typically meets three to four times per year in person, with additional meetings typically at six-week intervals over the Internet. The schedule of in-person Board meetings starting with the one shortly after the IAJGS Annual Meeting and election is as follows:
- At the IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy after the IAJGS Annual Meeting (on the Thursday or Friday of the conference).
- In the fall, usually held in October or November, location/date determined by Board consensus.
- In winter/spring, usually held in February, March, or April, typically a two-day meeting, location/date determined by Board consensus.
- At the IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy before the IAJGS Annual Meeting (on the Sunday that the conference begins).
The IAJGS Board Policy regarding travel and accommodation reimbursement is as follows:
- That—absent special circumstances—there should be one (not two as presently provided) face-to-face meeting of the Board in addition to the face-to-face meetings held in conjunction with the annual conference.
- That each Board member be responsible for the first $500 of travel and that Board members would be entitled to reimbursement for actual air-travel cost, at the lowest available coach rate, for travel to the meeting. This does not change the current policy of no reimbursement for hotel rooms or for other travel costs to the annual conference.
- That, additionally, board members who simply cannot travel, can join the in-person board meetings via the Internet.
IAJGS Board Policy as Modified 15 Feb 2015
Proceed to the Board Application Form
[ If you have comments or technical questions about this web page, please write to webmaster ]